Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Bleed Burnt Orange

This Saturday, ESPN College Game Day will go where it has never gone before. Namely, to Lubbock, Texas to broadcast what will most likely be a good old-fashioned Texas-style shootout between The University of Texas Longhorns and the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Both teams are undefeated up to this point in the football season. One team is undefeated because they beat #1 Oklahoma, #11 Missouri, and #6 Oklahoma State. One team isn't undefeated because of those wins, but still hasn't lost. In fact, though improbable and unlikely on paper, they could walk out of that small stadium in Lubbock, ecstatic over knocking off the #1 team in the nation.

Have I mentioned that I love Longhorn football? Dr Pop and I returned to being season ticket holders this year, and the investment has been well worth it so far. We've attended all but two home games (had to miss one because we were in VEGAS (baby!) and one because it conflicted with Boy Pop's birthday festivities).

This year we are tailgating with a new crowd and it has been spectacularly fun. We kicked it off with ice luge shots and have been going strong ever since! I can tell you this, if you are ever in Austin during football season, you need to come see us. We have beer sponsorships, live music, and some of the best barbecue in the area. Not to mention that the group is fun, too! In fact, our friends actually attended the Game Day broadcast earlier this month and let us play with their hard hats!

But enough about how much fun this season has been... And make no mistake, it has been crazy wild. It will truly be for nothing should our little brothers up in the panhandle get lucky.

Remember. The Eyes of Texas are Upon YOU. 'Til Gabriel blows his horn.



Every now and then, I ask myself the age old question, "What if...?" There are lots of "what ifs?" that anyone can ask about the choices they make. With respect to the college I atteneded, I have a few... What if I had gone with the popluar school choices of my high school classmates? What if I'd spread my wings beyond the borders of Texas and gone somewhere like NYU? What would my life be like had I not followed my gut and my heart and gone anywhere else but Texas for college?
And you know what? I really do not want to know. Where I am now in my life, the people who are with me, my husband, my child, my friends... It all traces back to TEXAS (the state AND the university). *
}}}}} HOOK 'EM BABY! {{{{{
*Had I not gone to The University of Texas, I might not have moved to Austin. Had I not moved to Austin, I might not have fallen in love with the city. Had I not fallen in love with the city, I might not have siezed an opportunity to move back here. Had that not happened, I probably would not have met Dr Pop. And on, and on, and on...

No comments: