Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer Magic...

When I was growing up, I remember the first time we got official cable TV. I also remember our first VCR, but that is another story for another day...

Our first cable box attached to our cabinet-style TV and had an extra long cord so that the channel changer could reach long distances. There was one row of 13 buttons going across and a switch so that you could get three levels of channels (2 - 14, 15 - 28, and 29 - 42). We did not get the premium channels, like HBO, because that channel was too racy. Instead, we got MTV, American Movie Classics, and the Disney Channel.

My parents raised me on the classic movies. We went to the restored Paramount theater in my hometown twice a month to see restored movies on the big screen. I fell in love with Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift, James Dean, etc. as I was losing myself in Old Hollywood glamour.

When we got the Disney and American Movie Classics channels, they were commercial-free "premium" channels. I would stay up late just immersed in the classics the two channels used to play. Disney used to have these Hailey Mills marathons, too, and show the original Parent Trap, Pollyanna, Moonspinners, and one of my all-time obscure favorites, Summer Magic.

In a couple of weeks, we will be hosting an engagement party for some friends and have been trying to get our house in order prior to inviting a bunch of people over. Finally! We have an excuse to get off our rear ends and take care of some of the projects we've been putting off for a very long time. One thing I like to do is have fun, mindless movies on in the background when I'm doing things like touching up paint, framing pictures, staining new furniture, etc.

The beginning of the summer season always puts me in the mood to see this film. Since we have reinstated our Blockbuster membership, I think I may rent it over the weekend to watch while doing some of the above projects. I haven't seen it in years, so I hope it lives up to my memory of it.


No comments: