Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Stream of Consciousness*

*Narrative technique in nondramatic fiction intended to render the flow of myriad impressions—visual, auditory, physical, associative, and subliminal—that impinge on the consciousness of an individual and form part of his awareness along with the trend of his rational thoughts.

So, um, yeah, my writing is a "narrative technique." Mmm, hmm...

Sue! I scrubbed my walls yesterday! Went through one bottle of some spray cleanser from Wal-Mart (http://www.holycowproducts.com/). Love it, by the way... Gets stains out of carpet, safe on paint, safe on granite, and smells nice. Oh, and it's cheap! I took a break and went to the grocery store for dinner-type things, and picked up a bottle of Mrs. Meyer's. I chose the basil scent. I love this stuff, too!

Let me back up a bit. We are throwing an engagement party for friends of ours. Lots of people we don't know will be in our home. This has prompted us to get up off our asses and actually complete some projects we've been putting off for quite some time.

I re-hired my old maid.
We are replacing a fake tree that our cats have destroyed with a bookcase in our dining room.
Said bookcase is being delivered unfinished.
We will be staining and finishing the thing ourselves.
I took Boy Pop's old clothes to the consignment store.
They bought half of them!
I still have a lot of clothes in the back of my car destined for Goodwill.
Our maid removed piles of clothes and toys that we had earmarked for donation.
She's giving them to her church.
She also re-arranged our upstairs living room!
We are getting our carpets cleaned.
We are getting our barstools re-covered (damn cats!).
I'm finally framing portraits of Boy Pop, us, wedding portraits, etc.
If I can find our wedding portraits.
I am gathering the best of Boy Pop's artwork from the past year and I'm making a giant collage.
If it works, all the grandparents will get one.

Dr Pop took the seats off the barstools and took a look at the painted wall under our bar area. It has been kicked so much and had tons of black scuff marks. He went yesterday and researched and bought matching paint and some Killz to repair the situation. When I got home, he had a rag in his hand and was cleaning the area (I had completely forgotten that he's done this before, but damn, do I have a great husband or what?). I grabbed a rag and started to help. Well, once you start cleaning one wall, I discovered it was damn near impossible to quit! Once we had a large enough area clean, Dr Pop started taping up the baseboards and he laid down a sheet and started painting. I continued scrubbing the walls and took time out to follow him with a small brush to get the crevices. Our walls look like new!

I was so amped up, I got all the picture frames I'd purchased earlier in the day and started framing pictures. Satisfied with the Boy's pictures, I went to the closet where my good wedding portraits are located to get them out, only they were not there! I tore the house apart looking for them, to no avail.

This depresses me. A lot.

But in my frantic searching, I found my first digital camera. The camera I had when Boy Pop was born. Since we've had three hard drive losses without backing things up, you can imagine how I felt at that discovery. I ran downstairs, and put the CF card into our computer and up popped the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time.

I'm still upset that I cannot find where I put those wedding portraits, but this does indeed warm my heart.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my heart just jumped out of my chest. Those first moments are so fuzzy but I remember the intensity of the love.

And the wall scrubbing.

My heart soared again...