Wednesday, November 29, 2006

NaNoWriMo

As it turns out, Dr Pop knows exactly how lazy I truly am. As December rapidly approaches, I realize that there is no way I could have written a 50,000 word novel this month. Well, I couldn’t have done it AND spent time with my family. Rationalizing it that way, though, doesn’t make me feel any less of a failure in the whole writing thing, though. The good news is that I have truly found some interesting thoughts to pursue and also have decided to narrow down genres. I’m thinking of a memoir-style fictional format. Definitely chick-lit. That’s one idea. Then I have another idea for a mystery, but I’m not sure where I want to go with that one yet.

There are so many ideas and words buzzing around in my head that I think if I put my mind to it and set realistic goals and expectations, then I can really make this work. But 50,000 words in one month? That’s not going to happen. Not in this lifetime. Maybe I’ll start my own ElNoWriMos (Ellen’s Novel Writing Months) in January. Give myself six months for the first draft and another six for the various rewrites before I shop it. A novel finished in a year? Now that’s feasible. But I have GOT to buckle down and just go for it. I need to stop allowing myself excuses and rationalizations as to WHY I make the choice to not reach for those stars.

The month of November has been a really good one, though. We’ve gotten so much accomplished and I feel like we’re heading into the last and most-hectic month of the year ahead of the game. Not only that, I only have one day to go with NaBloPoMo. I can’t believe I’ve stuck with it. So maybe I can’t write an entire novel in that time frame, but at least I did WRITE. Every. Day. That has to count for something, doesn't it? And quite frankly, I like the habit.

P.S. The. Christmas. Lights. Are. Up. No fuses blown last night. I climbed onto the roof to help. I didn't do much of anything, though, besides become paralyzed with fear and also find a whole new admiration for my husband for risking life and limb to light up our house. Thanks for doing all that hard work, honey!

No comments: