Friday, August 25, 2006

The Rules

No, not those rules…
I’m talking about the simple rules that apply to diet and exercise. The ones that have been drilled into our heads for years and years and YEARS.

Don’t eat too much junk food.
Choose healthy options.
Eat whole grains, fruits, lean protein, and vegetables.
Avoid starchy foods.
Exercise

And the kicker… If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

Yeah, right.

The thing is, I am not really trying to lose bunches of weight. I’m trying with all my might to improve my overall health, build some lean muscle mass, get definition in my abs, arms, and thighs, lower my cholesterol, and maintain my size (okay, maybe drop one size!).
So, I’ve been denying myself the Hostess cup cakes from the vending machine. I’m staying away from the Krispy Kremes that my manager is bringing to work every other day. I’m exercising between 3 and 4 days a week (cardio and light weights). I’m choosing healthy options when I eat. AND I GAINED SEVEN POUNDS!!!

I feel cheated somehow. And someone must pay. Probably, I’ll take it out on my husband. No, not really. ;-)

I do feel that I’m making some progress, though. Last night, I nearly finished the Ab Ripper workout. Six minutes of non-stop torture. I also made it for over 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. That’s a new record for me. But that damn scale is destroying my sense of progress!

No comments: