Thursday, November 10, 2011

Who's At Fault?

I have been devouring every link with a story about the Penn State nightmare. It's bordering on obsessive at this point, but it has taken over my obsession with mocking and being angry at the "Occupiers." Turns out, I only have enough anger in me to direct it at one group at a time. Pennsylvania wins!

Aside from the obvious, who is at fault here? Certainly the rapist. That's what he is. A rapist. A child rapist. There's no glossing over this. He's been a known child rapist and predator since 1998, but truth be told, and assumptions being made, he was evil long before 1998.

So, who's at fault for allowing this to continue? Certainly all those currently named. And while I dream of some enraged father or mother going "Old Testament" on his ass and exacting a painful, bloody revenge invloving the removal of certain body parts with a rusty knife of one specific perpetrator, I would like it to be known, for the record, one thing.

When one witnesses evil and does nothing to stop it, one is allowing evil to continue and is, therefore, evil as well. I stopped wondering how that former graduate assistant, now Penn State assistant coach lives with himself and looks at himself in the mirror every day. In 2002, he watched a grown man rape a 10-year-old boy. Instead of yelling out, or jumping in to stop this, he walked out and called his dad. Not the police. His dad. He never called the police. No one did. Evil.

Now, it is coming out that this charity, this place of refuge for troubled boys, was allegedly involved in something much deeper, much more sinister (if that's possible) than one sick and evil rapist. It has been reported that the CHARITY and the RAPIST made these boys available to other rich Penn State donors. If this is true, if it is even true that ONE child was pimped out to a rich donor... I can't even form words at the thought here.

I know that there is evil in this world. I just didn't expect the faces of it to be what they are.

And to those of you out there who are enraged that Joe Paterno was fired, even though he "broke no law" and "followed protocol." Um, no. Let me break it down for you.

There are legal statutes that REQUIRE you report susupected abuse to the proper authorities. A university president is NOT that authority, you addlepated dumbasses.

Secondly, we all, each of us, has a duty and resposiblility as HUMAN BEINGS to protect innocent lives from harm. I wasn't in the locker room that night in 2002, no. Thankfully, I have never had to witness that kind of evil personally. What I do know is this. I would not have walked out of that room without doing something to protect that boy.

I'm starting to ramble a bit. I just cannot wrap my head around this. Indefensible acts. Immoral actions AND inactions. Evil.

Evil.

No comments: