Thursday, February 11, 2010

Words To Live By

I follow @Real_Simple on Twitter. It is my favorite magazine and I love their ideas, recipes, and even their fashion tips. It is a great magazine and if you are not reading it, you need to go pick up a copy pronto. Then subscribe. Then say, "Thank you, Mrs Pop!"

Every morning (or most mornings anyway), they post a thought of the day. Today's really spoke to me despite who said it.

“Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.”―Oprah Winfrey

I find it extremely difficult to let go of things, often carrying around this heavy backpack of resentment, indignancy, judgment, and superiority everywhere I go. It is exhausting! Not surprisingly, I am cranky a lot, too.

I am really going to work very hard at emptying out my figurative backpack. The title of my blog is "Where are we going?" It comes from the latin phrase, "Quo Vadis," and I did not translate it directly as the direct translation is, "Where are you going?" Since my blog is about ME and MY family, I decided to take some liberties with the translation.

I don't really answer the question when I blog. I mainly tell you where I am or where I've been. Right now, it doesn't really matter where I am going. It matters that I have this huge self-inflicted burden of the entire world that I have managed to place squarely on my own shoulders and it is not only weighing me down, but it is also weighing down my family. I'm not a positive person. And I cannot change that overnight. But true change can only come from a person's level of desire TO change. To be different.

I have that desire. It's time to empty out my backpack. Breathe. Let go.

No comments: