Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blaaahhh... Rambling...

Today marks Day 89 of 90+ degree weather here in Central Texas (I was mistaken that we didn't hit 90 two days ago). We are supposed to hit 100 again today as well. People, it is hot here. August is half over and in 11 days, my boy will start the school curriculum and have to go back to wearing uniforms. Where did the time go? It seems like yesterday that we were missing the first leg of our flight to Mexico.

Well, a good chunk of our time has been spent at the pool. We don't go until late in the day, but there is still plenty of time to get some sun and exercise after I get home from work! Boy Pop has been in heaven! He is truly a water baby (sometimes I think he must have a set of gills somewhere!).

I had these lofty plans of going down the road to Sea World or Six Flags Fiesta Texas, or to a water park this summer, but that stuff never really materialized, unfortunately. To be honest, we haven't really missed out on anything by not going. We'll wait until the weather cools... In NOVEMBER!

I have to say that this has been the summer of weekday and weekend commitments, too... There has been something we've ABSOLUTELY had to attend every single week. Rarely has there been an open weekend, either. It's been crazy and fun and full of unique memories. I mean, not many people can say that while they were on the largest boat on Lake Travis, they saw a totally nude girl skipping around on a bachelor party houseboat? Hey, it was a new experience for me at least.

As we enter August, a new phase of the year begins... Football Season! My Longhorns have started practice, as have the Dallas Cowboys. We are very happy here in the Pop household that HBO's Hard Knocks has returned to the Cowboy training camp this year! Our Longhorn tickets have been purchased, the parking has been secured, and our friends have retained their Miller and XX beer sponsorships for their tailgate. We seem to be all set for August 30th (the first game) except...

The Dr and Mrs are headed to Vegas for Labor Day weekend! I love being in Vegas on this particular weekend... I could spend hours in the sports book watching the games! There is just so much excitement and good-natured school spirit there. Too much fun!

As the days speed by, I am reminded that we are almost two-thirds of the way through 2008. I cannot believe it! Soon Boy Pop will be 5. Let me say that again. He will be 5. He is such a boy. I still get glimpses into the baby he was every now and then, but that part of him is fading away as he grows into this amazing little person. I've been a little down lately, and in on and off cranky moods. I think I am grieving a little. I do not want to let go of that sweet little toddler and preschooler. I hate that I have missed things by not being with him during the day. I grieve for time that I've wasted by not playing Transformers or Star Wars (Light "saver" fights made with construction paper "savers"). The other day, as I was about to head out the door to the office, he came downstairs. He had been a little under the weather, so I went into his playroom to talk to him a bit before I had to go.

"Mommy, will you stay home with me today?" Damn near broke my heart! I went straight to my computer, logged in, and let my manager know I would not be at work.

So summer is quickly coming to an end (officially, yes, unofficially, we'll still have swimming weather until October). To me summer is such a relaxed time, a time to take a break from business as usual. Work is more casual. Chores are less important. Heavy and complicated meals fall by the wayside for salads and wraps. Frozen drinks prevail (to cool off, I swear!). There's tanned skin and no school zones to battle. No homework and it's okay to stay up a little later during the week. I'm not ready for that to end.

The next week and a half will be spent enjoying and appreciating the final days before we have to be a little more "buttoned up" and on-time. There will be a birthday party and a trip to the Circus. There will be lots of pool time. Actually, there will be lots of pool time after school goes back into session as our pool is open through September. I digress.

We will play.

And then we will prepare for the next chapters: Tee Ball, part 2; Football Season; Halloween; the holiday season; skiing; winter...

2 comments:

Binary Blonde said...

Somehow, even though I am not a Mom, yet, I feel I can relate. The end of summer has always been such a bittersweet time for me. My birthday is in mid-September (which sounds great, but I usually HATE my birthday - vowed to change that this year), my husband and I have our wedding anniversary at the end of October.... and now, our first baby is due on Halloween day.

It seemed like I was just getting over the morning sickness and now he'll be here in a little over 2 months. Crazy...

I enjoy reading about your time with your little boy. It makes me daydream about mine and what our playtime together will be like. :)

As for the swimming, we just didn't do that in California, but here.. it's like the water calls to you! Loving it!

Mrs Pop said...

Time does fly... It seems to go the fastest at the times you most want it to slow down a little (kind of like how the last few days of a vacation go by faster than the first few).

I won't lie. The early days of parenthood are rough. Nothing prepares you for the sleep deprivation or crying. But when you get that first smile, the first interaction, the crawling, walking, talking, playing... It is so totally worth it!

As far as the swimming goes, unless you live here and experience the heat firsthand, it's hard to imagine wanting to immerse yourself in a heavily chlorinated body of water on a daily basis. The only bad part is that towards the end of the summer, the swimming pools can get a little *too* warm.