Monday, April 21, 2008

Busy Little Bees* (A Weekend in Review)

Whew! What a weekend! Both busy and mundane all at the same time! Such is life in the suburbs, I suppose.

Saturday morning, we got up bright and early and went to a soccer game. *Incidentally, Boy Pop plays on the "Bees" team. Too funny. He did great until he was too tired/distracted to really get into the game. Because so few children showed up, he played the entire game. I watched and took pictures, with my heart in my throat every time someone got near him as the last thing I wanted was for him to A) reinjure his lip and B) injure something else. Those little kids play all-out and play rough!

Our team "won" again after our two ringers arrived and scored 10 goals. Then it was off to pick up breakfast tacos and go home. After eating, we planted three hibiscus trees out in the planters in our front yard to add some color to our yard and then tore out the dead hibiscus in back and planted its replacement.

By that point, I was exhausted and feeling quite lazy, so I went and laid down and watched a little TV. I may have taken a nap, too. But the nap was short-lived as we decided it was too gorgeous of a day to stay indoors. So we invited ourselves over to a friend's house with a pool. I got sun! Whoo hoo! It's a start, at least.

We made plans to have those friends over that evening, so we left and made a mad dash to the store to pick up essentials like FOOD and then I cleaned like a crazy woman! I scrubbed the half-bath, dusted the common areas (living, dining, breakfast, playroom), cleaned the kitchen, vacuumed, swept, mopped, and did a load or two of laundry. All in the space of two hours!

Then, THEN! Our company did not show up as their little boy, who is Boy Pop's age, fell asleep. Boy Pop had cleaned his own playroom and even had drawn him a picture. He was very disappointed, but we gave him some extra love and attention, so all was good. I made picadillo and we watched UFC. Every fighter we wanted to win, won!

We then decided to watch the Hopkins/Calzaghie (sp?) fight that we had recorded on HBO. I was on the end of a bottle of wine, and fell asleep with the glass in my hand on the couch. Dr Pop rescued the wine, though! I woke up just in time to see the end of the fight, but decided I just needed to go to bed. I left the food out for Dr Pop to clean up and he did!

We all slept in on Sunday. I then made picadillo breakfast tacos (Did I mention I love picadillo? So easy and yummy!). Dr Pop had to buckle down to work on some massive spreadsheet/tally sheet deal that was due ASAP, Boy Pop wanted to play sesamestreet.com, so I took the opportunity to go run. One massive, unending stitch in my side turned the run into a walk, but I managed to go for about 45 minutes, then come home and do 200 crunches. Go me!

Then it was my turn to get down to business... The business of cleaning our bedroom and bathroom. These are the rooms I neglect most often because no one ever sees them but my little family. So I dusted, vacuumed, scrubbed, mopped, wiped down baseboards, and changed sheets. Whew! Then I showered and we all went to the park for an hour.

Dr Pop threw some steaks on the grill later in the evening. A perfect end to a perfect weekend... Mundane or not.

2 comments:

Sue Doe-Nim said...

What is picadillo?

Mrs Pop said...

I just sent you the recipe and will post it on the cooking blog.