Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Confession

For Sue... Again... :)

I majored in English Literature at The University of Texas at Austin. 36 hours (translated into 12 classes) over three years (as my first year I was a Communications/Undecided major) of reading.

I mostly read the classics, Shakespeare, Victorian literature, the Brontes, Early American (read Puritanical) works such as sermons and Revolutionary writings. Later American works such as The Grapes of Wrath.

I read a lot. I also skimmed a lot. There were quite a few long, difficult, depressing novels. Dickens, Shelley, George Eliot (who was a woman, by the way).

I was graded pretty hard in some classes. Lots of subjectivity. I actually pulled a B in a class that should have been a C because I went to the professor's book signing (Narrative Ethics) and was the only person in my class to show up. Yep. I totally brown nosed my way into that grade and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

I took two classes from the same professor. A former Jesuit Priest who was now practically an Atheist ("What's the best way to kill your belief in God? Go to Seminary!"). He taught "Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales" and "The Bible in English and American Literature." He was fascinating to listen to and required we purchase a Catholic Bible for class. I got a B in each class because I missed more than two each semester. That sucked. But I got that grade through my own laziness.

To be honest, my GPA would have been much better had I only attended more classes and office hours. But I was lazy. And that's not my confession.

Nope. My confession is that during that time, I was a member of the Harlequin Romance Book Club. My Mema got me into the books as she was an avid reader of them for as long as I've been alive, having a wall of bookcases in a room of her house that is full of little else. Floor to ceiling bookcases full of them. And I started reading them.

They are "fluff" books for sure. 180 pages of escapist, happy ending, romances. I devoured them. They weren't "bodice-rippers" and they didn't have Fabio on the cover. They were contemporary, formulatic romances that included a romatic triangle, a hero who was an arrogant man. I adored them!

I still do. I read romance novels as my first preference. I've definitely expanded my horizons, but my first stop at the bookstore is the romance aisle.

I'm not sorry about it, either.

No comments: