Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Peace on Earth...

Goodwill toward men...*


Christmas decorations? Check. All up and accounted for.

Christmas parties? Check.

Trip to see Santa? Check.

Christmas gifts purchased? Well, this is where it gets tricky...

Christmas gifts wrapped? Currently they are sitting in various closets in my house. Unwrapped. In bags. Possibly leaning against other things.

Cookies made? Not quite.

Christmas cards done? Ahhhhhhhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

So. Um. Yeah. I've stalled out on my careful preparations and holiday planning. We were so on top of the game this year! We got our decorations out and up and they were completed by the end of the first week of December. We've done Christmas party stuff, ridden the Polar Express, watched Christmas movies, and gone to see Santa Claus. We went out ahead of the crowds to buy all of our Christmas gifts and really got most of it done. And that's where I stalled.

When it is November and you haven't finished your Christmas shopping, card sending, and cookie making, you have all the time in the world to get it done. And then comes December 1st and all of a sudden just going to the grocery store for dinner turns into a demented, swear-laden, take-your-life-into-your-own-hands affair what with all the crazies out there. *

I thought to myself, no problem, I'll just finish up during lunch over the next week or two. But that didn't happen.

So now it is December 12th. 13 days until Christmas. For those of you who are mathematically challenged, that means we are now LESS than two weeks away from the big day. I'm starting to panic. Just a little.
At least the weather is cooperating now. It's cold. Unseasonably cold. And grey. And rainy. And while I dislike rain, I love the wintry weather.
*It is so entirely difficult to maintain good holiday cheer and actually be NICE when all around I am confronted by the worst of humanity and stupidity. Seriously. It's like no one ever goes to the store except in December. And the drivers! One woman came very close to running me off the road... In my neighborhood! She veered all the way over to the left and when I looked back through my rearview mirror, she was driving on the left. Last I checked, we drove on the right over here. All in all, goodwill is hard to come by sometimes.

No comments: