Thursday, November 08, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

My favorite day of the year is the first day that Daylight Savings Time officially ends. In college and as a young adult, I loved the fact that on Saturday night, the bars stayed open an extra hour because, hey! More drinking!

As I've grown older and developed this thing I have about sleep, the momentous occasion of the clocks moving back one hour have come to mean HOORAY! more sleep! It's like coming back home after a week in NYC and having your internal clock all wonky and arriving an hour early for everything (except that I rarely ever arrive an hour early, but I'm not late, and that's something!).

When the boy was a baby, though, the whole clock moving an hour up or an hour back was pretty meaningless. His internal clock remained constant.

This year, though, I've been really messed up through the time change. It is a rare thing for me to wake up before my alarm goes off about 4 times unless I'm stressed out about something that is going to happen that day. But for the past five mornings, starting with Sunday, I have been waking up at ridiculous hours. Sunday was tough because I was hungover, woke up at 7AM, and I had been looking forward to sleeping in since the boy was with his grandparents, but I did manage to go back to sleep and doze on and off until 9. Then, starting Monday morning and through today, I have been waking up at around 5 and going into this dozing/waking state for an hour. It sucks and I'm totally thrown off.

Sleep issues aside, though, I really adore this time of year with the earlier nights and brighter mornings. The holidays are getting into full swing mode, there is a crispness in the air, even in central Texas, and there is a feeling of anticipation of good things to come. I'm excited about my upcoming vacation, hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, a big winter clean out, and a whole host of other great things. Soon (in a couple of months), it will be time to start cooking my comfort food standbys of Loaded Baked Potato soup, beef stew, pot roasts, pumpkin breads, etc.
I adore this time of year as it reminds me yet again how truly blessed I really am.

Now. It's time to get crackin' on the Thanksgiving crafts and menu!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I LOVE Day Light Savings Time! I'm probably one of the only people who actually likes it when it gets dark at 4pm! :)