Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy 2007!

I suppose that it is only fitting that I have a great picture to share, but blogger won't let me load it. Oh well.

I have this week off (hello, am I smart or what?) because I volunteered to work last week. Whoo-hoo! I've already hit the outlet mall. I only purchased a shirt and a sweater, but they were THE shirt and sweater that I've been wanting since visiting the store a few weeks ago. I'm personally quite surprised that I was able to hold out for so long!

New Year's Eve in the Pop household was relatively low-key as we could not find a babysitter despite a week of looking for one. I made "Wine Braised Chicken" out of the January edition of Everyday Food. It was very yummy and an extreme pain in the ass to make. Apparently, they tricked me into thinking I was going to make something simple (after all, this little periodical is known for its simple to create meals), but what I had really signed on for was "Coq au Vin." I began dinner prep at 6PM. We ate at 10.

Dr and Little Pop and I lit some sparklers and watched some early fireworks off our back deck, and we watched plenty of football. Little Pop made a valiant effort to stay up, but he crashed at around 10:30 (don't worry, he'd eaten long before the Doc and I did). After the little one went to bed, we just watched some TV and I cleaned up the dinner dishes. I'm telling you, we rocked out the night!

At midnight, we shared a kiss (or twelve) and some Champagne that I'd spiked with Pomegranate juice. I'm all about the antioxidants with my alcohol! It was very good and I'd have it again. We then chilled some more and watched Invincible together. As a side note, I'd wondered when the movie first came out how on earth they could have put together a movie about Vince Young's life so quickly. Yeah. It was a blonde moment. The movie was uplifting and beautiful. I love happy endings. Or maybe I was drunk.

Yesterday, New Year's Day, was a little bit of a letdown up until the awesome Fiesta Bowl. I'm just so thankful that my beloved Longhorns weren't there as it is always nice to see an underdog win and the Big 12 opponent, Boise State, was definitely the underdog. And they won! Sorry Sooners. Not.

Back to the letdown. I awoke at around 6AM to discover Little Pop sprawled between us and hogging the covers. Oh. And I had a raging headache (evil Champagne!). I managed to fall back asleep, but Little Pop got up at around 8. And he was rarin' to go. So I pulled my hungover and exhausted ass out of bed and tended to his every little whim. Then we spent a good chunk of time taking down all of the Christmas decorations :( and Little Pop decided to have a meltdown. Not exactly the way I wanted to begin the year. But I did manage to make a supreme mess cooking breakfast, so all was not lost. I swear, all I've done the past several days has been dishes and laundry.

So here we are. Day two. Today was better than yesterday. And really, when it comes down to it, if each day can be better than the last, then it doesn't really matter what my extremely long list of resolutions entails... I suppose my #1 goal for this year and every other one should be just that... Make today better than yesterday and tomorrow better than today.

Happy 2007 everyone!

No comments: