Sunday, October 23, 2005

What I Would Say If I Were A Trash Talker...

When my manager, who graduated from Texas Tech, hung his huge Tech game-day flag over my cubicle at work and kept asking me for my game day prediction, all I would say is, "It's going to be a bunch to a bunch and I just hope Texas scores more." I was wrong on one of those counts.
Texas - 52
Texas Tech - 17



You know, if I were a trash talker, I would print out this picture and tape it to my manager's desk, along with the comments of Texas Tech's coach. Comments like, "We collapsed" and "It was disappointing." I'd also post the statistics and the quote from an ESPN writer saying that those stats were "hollow." But the thing is, I'm not a trash talker any longer.
Once upon a time, I could stand with the best of 'em and yell and scream and put down my rivals' teams, yell, "XX Sucks!" and do all that. Not any more. I suppose I've grown up a bit. I've also had to eat those words on Monday morning at work once too often, I suppose. Let me tell you, I know what it's like to support a team that goes 4 and 7 on the season and gets routed in the process. I've sat in the endzone at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX, and watched OU rip us apart for a full sixty minutes. I've also endured so much hate and bile from the fans of opposing teams that I realize how much it hurts to have something that is already disappointing rubbed in even more.
So as my co-workers torment me each week during college football season and try to get some sort of rise out of me, I calmly tell them that I simply cannot talk trash, because some words don't taste very good come Monday. And they continue to talk. They continue to consume themselves with the bitterness of seeing a rival team do so very well. They continue to bait me and see if I will come unglued and stoop to their levels. And I don't.
This Monday morning, when I go into work, and my manager walks over to my cube expecting me to gloat, all I'm going to say is how wrong I was on my prediction of the score.
Sometimes, it feels SO good to be a smug bitch!
}}}}}}HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!{{{{{{

No comments: