Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Gone, but not forgotten

If you've experienced it, you will never forget it... The bell that marks sunset, the margaritas, the seemingly miles of decks, the (until recently) forgettable food... The view... Today, an Austin landmark is gone. Marked as a total loss by the fire department. The Oasis has burned to the ground.

The first time I went, I was 19 years old and my girlfriends and I went there to celebrate my roommate's birthday. I can't remember the other times I went, but I will never forget the atmosphere even then. Then life happened and other places seemed more appealing due to their location. Who wants to drink too much and then venture down the winding roads of 2222? And who'd want to pay that cab fare? So I forsook the Oasis for other, more convenient locales. We all did. And, like most things in life, I didn't appreciate it until it was gone.

So now what? I've taken the time to stop and think and I want to spend more time appreciating and enjoying every wonderful place my city has to offer.

No comments: