Thursday, March 24, 2005

Things That "Make My Day"

Well, I just finished with a major rant about things that piss me off. Since leaving things on such a negative tone pisses me off more than practically everything on that list, I'm going back to cheerleader/optimist mode.

So if anyone (ahem!) is by any chance trying to think of things that make me happy, here are some ideas, although you probably already know...

  • Saying the words "I love you" clearly.
  • Being the first one to say the above every now and then.
  • Flowers for no reason.
  • As hard as it can be sometimes, actually being open and honest. Knowing that I'm trusted enough to be shown raw emotion and vulnerability is one of the most special things in my life.
  • Compliments (both solicited and unsolicited). Three different people told me How thin and great I look today. Out of the blue! I've gotta say, it felt really good!
  • Kisses to say "hello"
  • Kisses to say "goodbye"
  • Long, deep, curl my toes kisses that last forever.
  • Making love.
  • Watching our son do or say something his daddy taught him.
  • Love notes or emails.
  • Flirting via email for hours.
  • A suprise night out.
  • Even better... A suprise trip to the Bahamas! ;-)
  • Finishing my "to-do" list without moving a single item to tomorrow's list.
  • The call from the escrow officer to tell me that the loan has funded and to please pick up my check.
  • Managing to do something at work that even our top agents can't do on a regular basis. Successfully negotiating and coming to terms on three contracts in one week is really unheard of in this market.
  • Personal satisfaction and sense of pride in a job well done (for however long that feeling may last before pessimism creeps in).
  • Being the "spoon-ee" and not the "spoon-er"
  • Lying in bed together before we go to sleep and after we wake up.
  • "Skinny" days.
  • The times when, even though our individual days have been hellish, we can both let it go and simply enjoy our time with each other. Even if that means sitting on the couch watching TV instead of going out.

And now for a special note to my husband...

It's funny, as I was compiling this list, I realized that the good things do happen with some regularity these days. I really like that. We are all allowed our "down" days and today was definitely one for both of us. I just seem to be very acutely attuned to signals and signs. I recognized some of the signs from the bad places in time and, in my mind, started to freak out a little. I really don't ever want to go back there again. I don't want to go back to the time in our lives when you come home in a bad mood from a very frustrating and rough day at work and I'm here at home in a bad mood from a different but equally horriffic day when I've had it up to my eyeballs in poop, cranky babies, zero houses being sold, and resenting the hell out of everything. We take it out on each other. That just makes both of us miserable. I love you too much to go back there. I'm mostly a glass-half-full person and you are mostly a glass-half-empty person. At least that's how I perceive it. At any rate, as cheesy as it may sound to continue the metaphor, if we put our glasses together, we get one full glass. What do you say, babe, want to pour your water into my glass? ;-) The bottom line is that no matter what happens to us, no matter what kind of crap keeps being piled on us, no matter what trials we constantly have to overcome, we will never be given more than we can bear. We can handle anything life throws our way. And, while I agree that it's time for good ole life to smile on us again, as long as we have each other and our family, we can (and have and will) conquer everything. We just have to put up a united front. "United We Stand" isn't just a response for terrorist attacks, you know. It's for us!

I love you!

No comments: