Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Holidays

There is a chill in the air today as our first Arctic cold front of the season sweeps down to my little spot of Texas. I don't know why, but I always feel so energized when the cooler weather and shorter days arrive. I recognize that I'm a weirdo. But I feel so optimistic at this time of year!
The Pop Household Holiday Season is going to be a little bit different this year. Namely because for the first time since 1979, we will not be waking up on Christmas Morning at my Mema's house.
Long story, and Mema is still with us, but we will be spending Christmas at my parents' house this year. It's an adjustment, but a necessary one.
Lots of things are different this year. At the top of the list is my family dynamic. The loss of trust and relationships with my extended family. Some unpleasantness regarding finances. Side note here. Isn't it amazing how money can drastically change a relationship? Envy, jealousy, pride, and money. They are all interconnected. And there is a moral slippery slope, apparently, when one is entrusted with the caretaking of someone else's cash.
But enough of that. I'm so looking forward to the holidays this year. Last year, we went to Playa del Carmen with my parents the week before Christmas. Got home on the 21st, and I ordered Christmas cards. Ordered and let them sit in a box. I'm considering sending them out this year. Why not? They are just sitting there, wasting my money. And if I send them out, then that's one thing crossed off my to-do list right there!
This year, just The Mr. and The Boy and I are going away. We are taking The Boy out of school a week early and going to a winter wonderland. We get back in time for the Big Day.
So, today is November 12. My father is on his way down to help me out while the hubs is out of town. Next week, the hubs goes out of town again, but this time, I'm on my own. The following week is Thanksgiving. I am hosting again. I love hosting this holiday. Lets me shine. Then two weeks later, we head to snow. Then it's Christmas! Then New Year's! The remainder of the year is close to over.
I sure have a long list of things I'd like to get done between now and then.
Clean out the playroom
Organize the playroom
Organize The Boy's bedroom
Clean out The Boy's closet
Clean out ALL the closets
Clean out the junk drawers (yes. drawers. ugh.)
Clean out the spare room
Decorate the spare room
Lose 10 pounds
Make a big Goodwill donation
Throw out all of our old coolers
Clean out the garage
Fix our wood blinds
Organize the pantry
Throw out/recycle all my old magazines
Organize my kitchen cabinets
So. Um. Yeah. It's a long list. It's ambitious. Truth be told, I'll consider myself lucky to finish the top two items.

No comments: