Friday, November 02, 2007

Naps and Steaks and Middle of the Night Visits

I have really got to download all of my October pictures so I'll have something new to share. Halloween was so much fun as we again hooked up with our neighborhood set and the group built to about 20 kids running around while we followed. I have so many stories about the wagon with the cooler and Boy Pop being brutally honest with the lovely folks giving him candy. And the pictures! I have so many pictures!!! I'll probably get to that this weekend.

Yesterday evening, after being home for about an hour, I fell asleep. I guess it was about 6 or so. At 6:47, I woke up, looked at the clock, and being completely disoriented, yelled out, "Oh shit! I'm late!" and proceeded to throw the covers off of me and get up and run to the bathroom. Dr Pop was all, "What are you doing?"

So the thing is, this happens to me more often than I would like to admit. I thought it was this morning and I was late for work. I'll also wake up in the middle of the night and think I'm late and start the coffeepot. But do you know what one of the best feelings in the world is? That moment when you realize that you have hours and hours to go until you have to start getting ready for work. That it's 6:47 PM not AM. That it is 3AM, not 7AM. That is a great feeling.

Well, I got up and Dr Pop allowed me to get my bearings. I'm a pretty groggy person after I wake up. I cooked Boy's dinner (fish sticks and broccoli... my kid has strange tastes!) and Dr Pop finished up with work and then began preparing our steaks to go out on the grill as we watched Survivor. My husband is the world's best steak griller! And, he helped take down Halloween decorations yesterday. AND! He is just a cool cat.

I have to say that aside from my own personal melt down about "being late" for work and then again the fact that I was wound up tight enough that I felt like I was going to explode from pressure (not sure what brought that on, but it's a different story for a different day), it was a very pleasant night. I especially enjoyed playing with magnetix with the boy (and on my own after he went to bed... They are FUN!).

As bedtime approached, we gently reminded the Boy that he needed to stay in his own bed all night as lately he's taken to crawling into bed with us at random hours in the early morning. He said he would. But I have a secret... It makes me feel like I'm not a failure as a mother when he seeks me out in the middle of the night after a bad dream or whatever. Last night, he crawled in at around 3:30 AM. I gave him until 4:30 when I carried him back up to his bed. As I laid him down and covered him up and he appeared to be asleep, I bent down and gave him a kiss and started to walk away. Then he said, "I love you Mommy." Yeah, it is all worth it.

I have quite a bit to be thankful for this morning...

No comments: