Monday, October 01, 2007

Pumpkins, Turkeys, and Trees, Oh My!

Happy October 1st to all out there in blogger-land! I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is my absolute FAVORITE time of year. It's time to put away the summer clothes (even though it's supposed to be 90 degrees today in Texas), get out the boots, and start prepping for the busiest time of year.

A couple of weeks ago, I began a running chart of all the activities we have planned over the course of the next three months, and y'all, it ain't pretty. My boy starts tee-ball this week, so the Pop family has committed to Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings filled with practice and games until mid-November, which isn't too bad, really, when you think about other families who schedule more than one sport and more than one child.

This weekend, even though I felt like death thanks to the ridiculously high ragweed counts (to the point that I got an allergy headache and so intense was the pain, well, I got physically and violently ill), Boy Pop and I began our Halloween project of making spiders out of mini-pumpkins. All went relatively well until it came time to attach the pipe-cleaner legs to the pumpkin bodies. Kids, Elmer's glue doesn't work very well and I do not own a hot glue gun. So if anyone has a suggestion, please, let me hear it.

This evening, I plan to get out the Halloween decorations and make over my house in preparation for the next 30 days of fall fun. Then comes November and Thanksgiving. I'm taking the entire week of Thanksgiving off of work to either go on vacation somewhere with my family, or, barring that, at least play a bit before Christmas season rolls around. I know I'll be desperately ready for a break by then since I'm already desperate for a vacation now. Oh well. Only seven more weeks...

One thing that I'm really looking forward to is the Texas Conference for Women, which takes place each October. This is something that my mother and I started doing two years ago and it is such a great experience! If you are in Texas and have the opportunity to go, I highly recommend you do so AND that you register early. They are sold out this year. And aside from the great speakers and mini-sessions that they have, my mother and I really get to spend some quality time together, just us, and they have tons of shopping on-site! It's a win-win!

I'm hoping that Ms. Fussy institutes another "NaBloPoMo" this year as well. I did it last November and had a blast making sure that I posted each day. I also signed up for the National Novel Writing Month, but alas, I only lasted about three days. I'll bet I could do better this year, though.

Then there's December. Christmas month. Cold(er) weather. Pretty lights. The Polar Express train ride through the beautiful Hill Country.

I could go on, but really, what more can I say? I'm totally excited about the next three months, I'm really looking forward to finishing my first "craft" project with my son, and I cannot wait to start baking!

Speaking of, I have joined a new blog and it is listed on my sidebar. Check it out. It's all about recipe sharing and I'm trying to be all about cooking. ;-)

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Fall is my favorite season! It's just the most cozy time of year!

Mrs Pop said...

I just adore it! Colder weather, fires, comfort food, plus a gazillion holidays! Who could ask for more?