Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Motivation

What motivates you to do something?

Love?
Hate?
That trip coming up?
The kids?
The skinny office slut?
All of the above?

Just curious... I've been thinking a lot about motivation lately and why I do the things I do. I'd like to say that mostly I'm motivated by love. But sometimes, *sometimes*, other things motivate me to get off my ass and do things.

The problem is when there is motivation to not be so nice. When you have things to say and it just feels like they are about to explode from you and you are motivated by the release you will feel if you get it out. All that serves to do is get you labeled "psycho bitch" and it isn't good.

We live in a society that tells us that we get to say what we want, when we want, to whom we want, whenever we want, because "it has to be said." "They deserve to know." "It's my right to tell so and so this or that." "It's for their own good."

Dr Laura, in one of her blog entries recently, said that some things should never be said, though. And that all of the reasons above for saying things are bogus. We don't say hurtful things to someone "for their own good," we say them for OUR own good. Then we give ourselves all kinds of altruistic reasons and excuses for deliberately hurting someone else.

No comments: