Monday, November 13, 2006

Cycles... Feeling philosophical this November 13th.

*My apologies to Helen Fielding as the philosophy I'm about to mention appeared in Bridget Jones's Diary.

I've given this a lot of thought, and I truly believe that Jude* and Bridget* had it right when discussing painful life events. I'd actually like to expand the belief to encompass all life events, big or small, painful or beautiful. Imagine that you are at the tip of a cone and you're moving in a circular direction. When something happens, you immediately come back to it again and again. As time rolls on, you come back to that event less and less, and the way you look at it becomes less joyous or painful and becomes more relegated to one of life's many experiences.

This is particularly comforting to think about when you go through some dramatic and devastating event, in my opinion. While painful, knowing that it won't always feel like a knife in the gut, is a source of strength. Knowing that one day you'll look upon whatever devastation and maybe not laugh about it, but just think about what that experience taught you is wonderful.

The only reason I am the person I am today is because of every single detail that occurred in my past. Each decision, each disaster, each win, each choice molded me into this person. Good or bad, these things and choices made me the person I am today.

And it's true what they say... Time does indeed heal all wounds.** If that cone theory doesn't do enough to make me feel better, that one certainly does. ;-)

*From Bridget Jones's Diary, duh!
**It also wounds all heels. Yep. I still believe in karma, contrary to some of my earlier questioning of it.

No comments: