Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Hill (or sometimes Mountain)

Dr. Laura will typically counsel her callers to pick their battles… She often uses the phrase, “Is this the hill you want to die on?”

I heard it again today and I really needed that reminder. I have a tendency to pick the same pointless battles over and over again, when really, if I made the CHOICE to let certain things go, I’d be so much more content with the world and with myself.

I need to try harder. I need to choose my battles more wisely with myself, my husband, my son, work, and the world around me. I need to let things go that are peripheral and focus on the things I can change and want to change. Obviously, I can change no one but myself and I’m in charge of how I react to things. I tend to “freak out” when faced with upsetting/disturbing news as my husband likes to say.

What’s the point of this post, you may ask? Well, it’s to publicly announce that I’m going to calm the f down. I know what and who I like and I know what and who I don’t like. Those individuals and things I dislike (for excellent reason, I might add) hold zero importance to me and if I focus on them and their little impacts on my world, then I’m allowing their mere existence to control my life. So I’m choosing to NOT die on the hills created in my mind by those sorry individuals and instead just let. it. go. already. It isn’t worth it and it makes for a sludgy soul. :)

No comments: